Posted 3 days ago

Home wifi for someone with no knowledge advice please

Hi
My current broadband provider (virgin) contract expires soon. I don't plan to renew with them. I yave read some stuff on here about the option for buying your own router and putting an unlimited sim in it but i haven't a clue how to begin. Could anyone kindly give me some advice. A lot of what i have read gets very technical and then i get lost. Any guidance/ tips would be very helpful. Thanks in advance
Community Updates
New Comment

9 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    I've had virgin, adsl and sim routers so I hope I can help you.

Firstly, sim router isn't like a regular broadband provider so, if you are gaming or using multiple devices.. You should really avoid sim routers. If you still want to go down that route then get yourself onto....

ofcom.org.uk/phones-telecoms-and-internet/advice-for-consumers/advice/ofcom-checker

To check what network works best indoors at your postcode.

Then get yourself the sim and router. Some providers offer the router with the sim but if you want to buy Sep then get something like a xiaomi 5G router.

I'd personally go check if you can get fibre from here first though before going down the sim router route. .....
    cityfibre.com/ (edited)
    If you need internet for gaming, video streaming etc. DO NOT purchase a sim card router and sim card. You will be extremely disappointed.

Here's what Chat GPT says:

Fiber internet and mobile SIM card-based internet connections are two different types of technologies with distinct characteristics. Here are some key differences between the two:

Technology:
    • Fiber Internet: This type of internet connection uses fiber-optic cables to transmit data as pulses of light. It offers high-speed, reliable, and consistent connectivity.
    • Mobile SIM Card-Based Router: This relies on mobile networks (3G, 4G, or 5G) for internet connectivity. It uses a SIM card, similar to those in smartphones, to access the mobile network and provide internet access.

Speed and Reliability:
    • Fiber Internet: Generally provides faster and more stable speeds compared to mobile networks. Fiber-optic cables have high bandwidth and low latency, making them suitable for demanding applications such as streaming, gaming, and large file transfers.
    • Mobile SIM Card-Based Router: Speeds can vary depending on the mobile network's coverage and congestion. While 4G and 5G can offer decent speeds, they may not match the consistent and high speeds of fiber.

Connection Stability:
    • Fiber Internet: Typically offers a more stable and consistent connection. It is less susceptible to interference and environmental factors that can affect wireless signals.
    • Mobile SIM Card-Based Router: Connection stability may be influenced by factors such as signal strength, network congestion, and the physical environment. In areas with poor mobile reception, the connection may be less stable.

Usage Limitations:
    • Fiber Internet: Often comes with higher data caps or even unlimited data plans. Users are less likely to encounter data usage restrictions or throttling.
    • Mobile SIM Card-Based Router: Mobile data plans may have limitations on data usage, and exceeding these limits can result in additional charges or reduced speeds. Some plans may also have specific terms for tethering or hotspot usage.

Installation and Infrastructure:
    • Fiber Internet: Requires physical installation of fiber-optic cables, which may involve professional installation. Availability depends on the existing fiber infrastructure in a given location.
    • Mobile SIM Card-Based Router: Offers more flexibility as it relies on mobile networks. As long as there is sufficient mobile coverage, it can be used in various locations without the need for physical infrastructure installation.

Ultimately, the choice between fiber internet with a router and a mobile SIM card-based router depends on factors such as speed requirements, stability, availability, and the user's specific needs and preferences. (edited)
    Totally agree..if you WFH all day and use Teams/Zoom and are also a gamer you will struggle with a 4/5G dongle. Good friends have used this setup for 2+ years with EE and its can be very hit and miss.

one of these friends has just jumped to this solution has he was struggling to WFH

starlink.com/res…ial

if this is just for the short term to get a better broadband deal, that sure I get the need to jump, but if you can't get any broadband then I get why you would go down this route longer (edited)
    It depends how many devices you want to share the internet connection with - you could try creating a hot spot on your phone (which will use your data plan) and test the speed. If it's suitable you could consider getting a MiFi/4G/5G router. There are many different types, I would recommend at least a 4G capable one (don't bother with the 3G ones as that signal is due to be switched off this year).
    Depending on the type of router you can use ethernet cables as well as wireless (and some even support a "traditional" home phone).

I bought a Voxi 300GB data SIM from Argos and plan to use that if Virgin Media don't offer me a better deal (which I don't think they will). I have a 4G MiFi router (It's a Mini hub Halo, EE71 - but I have used my phones in the past)
    Is the Voxi a 1 month Sim?
    Author
    Thanks everyone, those comments were very helpful. My son is a gamer so now that i know a sim router isnt really suitable for that i will try to find another broadband provider deal
    SIM Card routers are essentially as good as you'll get as if you're browsing on a phone outside on mobile network.

If reception is great in your area and you can rely on it, for basic'ish usage it would be fine.
    Businesses use it as a redundancy but that's irrelevant to this (just throwing out some knowledge lol)

Because you're a home user, stick to the usual router with a broadband line as opposed to the SIM Card, you will NOT end up happy with speeds if you're looking to do multiple things on various devices too.

I'm not speaking for those who use SIM Card routers but, I personally wouldn't use it for a home network... unless a redundancy is needed for work purposes or something.

Yes, routers are a little more sophisticated with using SIM Cards especially if you are in a 5G area but just no, home users -> broadband line all the way, no one could convince me otherwise.
's avatar