Posted 26 August 2021

Cheaper alternatives to 'Dyson's Hot+Cool' fan/heater

I'm wanting something similar to Dyson's expensive Hot + Cool Fan.

I'm simply wantingnsomething that is a 2-in-1 and can Cool my small bedroom down on the warmer months and heat it up during colder months.

I also don't want anything:
  • over £100
  • too loud and noisey
  • less than 12mths warranty.

please advise as I'm struggling finding something suitable and I refuse to pay hundreds and hundreds.

much appreciated
Community Updates
New Comment

6 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Almost all fan heaters can be run in fan only mode. They don't actually cool, just work as a fan moving the air around and the Dyson is the same. Or buy a fan and a seperate heater.

Lots of fan heaters here Fan heaters Heaters and radiators | Argos
    EndlessWaves27/08/2021 13:00

But nobody cares whether the wall is hot. The thing you're interested in …But nobody cares whether the wall is hot. The thing you're interested in is the people, you're trying to increase the rate of heat flow from the skin to the air. That can be done with a greater temperature difference or a greater amount of air flow, both are equally valid ways of cooling.

I didn’t mention the wall temperature?
    I agree that yes you are just trying to get air flow and most of the cooling is then by evaporation of sweat.
    But many people think just that the Dyson hot+cool will cool the room, when it won’t, it just moves the air around, which as you say can either increase air flow or create a bigger temperature difference. But if the air is already warm then no fan will be able to actually cool the air the same as an air conditioner can. (edited)
    There are evaporation based cooling fans around, just be warned that obviously they increase humidity in the house, If your house has dubious levels of venting and you rarely open windows it's not a good idea.
    jon81uk26/08/2021 15:31

They don't actually cool, just work as a fan moving the air

A fan moving air transfers heat away faster - it cools. That's why they're used in cooling systems in everything from cars to computers.
    EndlessWaves27/08/2021 11:08

A fan moving air transfers heat away faster - it cools. That's why they're …A fan moving air transfers heat away faster - it cools. That's why they're used in cooling systems in everything from cars to computers.

Yes to move the heat away.
    So the logic in a house would be to open a window and put the fan at the window. They don’t actually lower the temperature though, just move the hot air around. If there is no cool air the fan can make it hotter as the action of the fan makes heat too.
    jon81uk27/08/2021 11:40

Yes to move the heat away.So the logic in a house would be to open a …Yes to move the heat away.So the logic in a house would be to open a window and put the fan at the window. They don’t actually lower the temperature though, just move the hot air around. If there is no cool air the fan can make it hotter as the action of the fan makes heat too.

But nobody cares whether the wall is hot. The thing you're interested in is the people, you're trying to increase the rate of heat flow from the skin to the air.

That can be done with a greater temperature difference or a greater amount of air flow, both are equally valid ways of cooling.
's avatar