Posted 1 day ago

Clogging issue with mower... High lift blade question.

I've just bought a new mower, it's 36v and 34" cutting diameter.

After reading a few reviews, my issue seems to be seen in many mowers irrespective/across brands, both cheap and expensive.

Does anyone know if using a high lift blade would assist in making the cutting & ejecting of the grass into the bag area more efficient?

This issue is annoying, but as it seems to occur with many other mowers I'm unsure whether to buy another mower before first trying a high lift blade.

Cheers.
Community Updates
New Comment

12 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Author
    It's the Einhell GE-CM 36/34 which gets the same sort of reviews as most mowers with the same ratio of bad reviews for issues

I've only recently started doing the lawn myself, and I'm not really the type that mows every 1-4 weeks. How often do you guys with no issues mow, I'm assuming at least once per month?

I'd guess the grass is several inches if I'm honest, certainly four if not more.

I just don't recall this much of a pain in the rear when mowing the lawn as a kid using a decade's old Flymo and Qualcast. (edited)
    Mow in the eve of a dry day, give the grass time to dry out
    Used numerous types and makes of lawn mowers powered by petrol, battery and mains electricity.
    I can't think of a time when I have had a clogging issue, it may have happened but i can't remember it so it can't be a real issue for me.
    Are you cutting wet grass or very overgrown/ long grass? I can see cutting wet long grass can cause an issue.
    The mower you have may not a great design which is causing the clogging issue you describe.
    I have the erbaurer 36v 46cm metal deck mower and i use it with the mulcher in place rather than collection box and i still dont have clogging issues.
    As mentioned above it sounds like wet grass or grass thats too long
    Still waiting for a response re make and model which might give a clue.
    However, in general terms, there are four variables. As others have said, what setting, how long's the grass, and is it wet. The fourth is how fast are you walking? It's very easy to overwhelm the mower throat, and then you'll get clogging.
    Which number or level have you got the mower set on? If too low, yes it will quite likely clog up especially, as others have said, you are attempting to cut wet and/or long grass.
    We've currently use a Honda self propelled - have used all sorts of mowers (all petrol) and not ever had a problem with clogging. We did have a Viking mulcher which was fantastic on wet grass but not many other mowers are good on long wet grass. What are you cutting - length and wetness - how much are you cutting (length in one go)....these can all have a factor. But clogging sounds like you are cutting too much grass and it's wet.
    I used to mow the thickest of grass with an old flymo briggs petrol model.

I'd abuse that mower, cutting with glasses on and the grass box propped open with a stick to discharge the cuttings. Lifting it up and slamming it down to clear a deck full of mulched damp grass now and again.

Even a high displacement petrol mower can bog down and stall when the deck is all clogged with grass.

Little and often is super important with battery mowers, they don't tolerate high drain and discharge cycles, it can really prematurely shorten the life of a battery.
    Make & model?
's avatar