Posted 1 day ago

Timing and Tactics to buy a laptop by December

Partner's birthday is December 1st and I want to get them a laptop.

I can spend ~£300 maybe more depending on how much I save. It doesn't need to be heavy duty but 16gb ram (Ideally upgradable), and NEEDS to be able to run Sims 4.

• (3.3 GHz Intel Core i3-3220 (2 cores, 4 threads), AMD Ryzen 3 1200 3.1 GHz (4 cores) or better
  • RAM: At least 4 GB RAM
  • At least 25 GB of free space with at least 1 GB additional space for custom content and saved games
  • VIDEO: 128 MB of Video RAM and support for Pixel Shader 3.0. Supported Video Cards: NVIDIA GeForce 6600 or better, ATI Radeon X1300 or better, Intel GMA X4500 or better)

What would you guys recommend for a budget and when to buy? Will I get screwed over at Christmas/Black Friday/Back to school? Thanks for any help.
Community Updates
New Comment

5 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Come back 1-2 week before black friday and keep checking for deals.

Budget allow £400, which would give you a lot more option. (edited)
    Author
    Thanks for the advice
    Ebuyer have/had an open box HP 255 G8 Ryzen 5 5500U laptop for £330. Only 8GB so you'd need to upgrade that and factor in the cost.

I assume you're still saving so I'd keep an eye out for 5500U laptops over the next 5 months or so to try to see if there's any that fit within your budget.
    Author
    I could buy that now, but I think I'll wait a few months and find a really good deal. Thank you
    It doesn't really matter, in my opinion. A fantastic deal with better specs will always show up a day after the return period is over.
's avatar